Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:09:11 +0000
On 2/18/19 3:12 PM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>>> And libinput was created by the Freedesktop Wayland team to create
>>> pressure on OS people to make their systems Wayland-compatible.

>>> Shouldn't the EVDEV_SUPPORT default be off on FreeBSD anyway, as well
>>> as libinput not be part of the standard packages?
>>>
>>> The Freedesktop Wayland team consists of people with the Kay Sievers
>>> mentality, which made Linus Torvalds ban his contributions. They do
>>> not care about the bugs they introduce, forcing others to clean up the
>>> mess they create.
>>>
>>> I'd be glad if FreeBSD would keep clean of following that Wayland fad...
>> EVDEV_SUPPORT was enabled in GENERIC on 13 and 12-stable to improve
>> input device handling in X and Wayland.  Not having it means that a lot
>> of input devices stop working, or work much worse.
>>
>> We in the FreeBSD Graphics Team are working very hard to improve the
>> FreeBSD Desktop experience, since it is an avenue to recruit new users,
>> and make current users use FreeBSD more.
> Sadly your execution on that seems to be missing the mark,
> telling people they have to go get a port now to get drm working
> because it could not be maintained in base, and then telling them,
> oh, you need this new code in base so that it is so much easier
> to use graphical stuff this way.
>
> These seem to be conflicting stories.

You don't need evdev or libinput to have a functional desktop with a
3-button mouse but some modern desktop environments require it. Why
should we not include the large group of people who want to run a modern
desktop? Including more users does not mean excluding anyone in this case.

>> Evdev and libinput is used by both Wayland and xorg.  You are free to
>> use either one.
> And sadly now must take action when no action was required before
> when using neither.

Take what action? If you don't need it, just don't use it. If you don't
want change, stay on older release. If you are a purist and want to
remove everything in the kernel you don't use, you probably already have
your custom kernel config, and you probably are a minority. Consider the
well-being, progress and future of the project and the community at
large instead of your ego.