Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely7.cicely.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 18:28:41 +0100
On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 01:43:22PM +0100, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> On 2/18/19 12:06 PM, Stefan Blachmann wrote:
> >>evdev.ko is a small in-kernel library that makes all your input events
> >>like keyboard presses libinput-compatible.
> >
> >And libinput was created by the Freedesktop Wayland team to create
> >pressure on OS people to make their systems Wayland-compatible.

> >>I think removing "option EVDEV_SUPPORT" from your kernel config should
> >>disable most of evdev.ko dependencies
> >
> >Shouldn't the EVDEV_SUPPORT default be off on FreeBSD anyway, as well
> >as libinput not be part of the standard packages?
> >
> >The Freedesktop Wayland team consists of people with the Kay Sievers
> >mentality, which made Linus Torvalds ban his contributions. They do
> >not care about the bugs they introduce, forcing others to clean up the
> >mess they create.
> >
> >I'd be glad if FreeBSD would keep clean of following that Wayland fad...
>
> EVDEV_SUPPORT was enabled in GENERIC on 13 and 12-stable to improve
> input device handling in X and Wayland.  Not having it means that a lot
> of input devices stop working, or work much worse.

I use it to run a wmt(4) touchpanel display, which wouldn't work otherwise.
I have to say that I kind of like the evdev system as it also makes it very
easy to place events from userland processes.
What I don't like is that we had no autosetup support in XOrg when I first
used it - in the meantime this might have changed however.