Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 08:31:47 -0700
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 8:17 AM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > > On 19 Feb 2019, at 09.15, Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo_at_bluezbox.com>
> wrote:

> changes
>
> The port was created long ago to get newer graphcis, that port even
> had very nice instructions on how to bypass the inbase kmod of the
> same name that accsesed the same hardware.

Yes. Those in-base drivers don't work. Or rather don't work well. The
kinda sorta work for some people, but there's a huge number of kludges and
hacks the graphics guys have been doing to keep it going and it's too much.
Those hacks, like needing to make xf86-video-ati-legacy, like hacking back
in support for drm2 in mesa which has moved on to requiring, basically
drm3, like looking at issues that arise from there being regressions in
drm-kmod on some older hardware. It's too much. There's lots of duct-tape
and bailing wire that you don't see that's necessary to keep it going.
That's the real bottom line here, whether you want to accept this harsh
reality or not: we simply do not have the resources to continue to support
drm2.

I deleted the rest of your rant. It's not worth answering point by point.
Things aren't like you think they are, and if the many polite (and not so
polite) explanations haven't sunk in, another round sure won't help.

drm2 is dead. The decision was made months ago. The game is finally over.
I'll be committing the removal later today.

Warner