Re: r343567 aka PAE vs non-PAE merge breaks i386 freebsd

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:12:09 -0700
On Thu, 2019-02-28 at 11:06 -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:32 AM Steve Kargl
> <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> > This is interesting as well.  Does this mean that amd64 is now
> > the only tier 1 platform and all other architectures are after
> > thoughts?
>
> This has been the de facto truth for years.  i386 is mostly only
> supported by virtue of sharing code with amd64.  There are efforts to
> promote arm64 to Tier 1, but it isn't there yet.  Power8+ might be
> another good alternative Tier 1 candidate eventually.  None have
> anything like the developer popularity that amd64 enjoys.

I have been of the opinion that armv[67] has met all the bullet points
to be a tier-1 arch for several years, but nobody seemed interested in
declaring it so.  Now it'll never happen, because there seems to be
growing momentum to throw everything 32-bit under the bus and declare
freebsd to be a 64-bit-only OS.  Netflix wins; those of us building
smaller embedded products will eventually be forced to move to linux.

-- Ian