Re: r343567 aka PAE vs non-PAE merge breaks i386 freebsd

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 09:28:44 -0500
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 14:13, Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> I have been of the opinion that armv[67] has met all the bullet points
> to be a tier-1 arch for several years, but nobody seemed interested in
> declaring it so.  Now it'll never happen, because there seems to be
> growing momentum to throw everything 32-bit under the bus and declare
> freebsd to be a 64-bit-only OS.  Netflix wins; those of us building
> smaller embedded products will eventually be forced to move to linux.

I don't think this is the case. For one example, see the effort kib_at_
has been putting in (under Foundation sponsorship) on FreeBSD/i386.
One of my co-op students this term is working on building out our
hardware continuous integration testbed, including 32-bit Arm targets
like the BeagleBone Black.

Now, i386 has not been our primary reference platform for some time,
and I expect that for 32-bit ports FreeBSD will largely be cross-built
from amd64, arm64, or powerpc64 hosts. I think this is absolutely
fine, and we can still support 32-bit devices well, but our current
tier definitions don't fit this model well.