Re: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 19:02:46 -0800
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:31:38PM -0700, Rebecca Cran wrote:

> With a recent change I made for UEFI, we now install loader.efi onto the ESP and don’t run boot1. That means that /boot.config is no longer read, and so console settings need to be put in /boot/loader.conf.
> I was wondering if people will expect /boot.config to still be read and so code should be added to loader to continue to parse it, or if loader.conf can be considered the correct place and boot.config forgotten about?

Does the above only apply to UEFI booting, or also to booting from
BIOS/MBR?

If the latter, I'd be OK with the change as long as it's adequately
publicized ahead of time (e.g., a src/UPDATING entry & -- ideally -- a
"heads-up" in current_at_).

If the former, I'm less opinionated: none of my personal machines boot
UEFI.  I'd tend to assume that changing to UEFI will involve some
(other) changes to how I do things anyway.  (My build machine uses
/boot.config to default to "verbose" booting, dual-console.)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Trump is more of an "existential" than "potential" threat to US security.