Re: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 20:36:05 -0700
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019, 7:33 PM Rebecca Cran <bcran_at_freebsd.org wrote:

> With a recent change I made for UEFI, we now install loader.efi onto the
> ESP and don’t run boot1. That means that /boot.config is no longer read,
> and so console settings need to be put in /boot/loader.conf.
> I was wondering if people will expect /boot.config to still be read and so
> code should be added to loader to continue to parse it, or if loader.conf
> can be considered the correct place and boot.config forgotten about?

The problem is that by the time we know what / is. It's too late. If there
is an error before that. It's kinda too late. Since it is too late, you
should just set the console with loader.conf, since it is the standard
place. I think it can be forgotten for these and other reasons...
loader.conf is a superset of boot.conf anyway.

Warnet

—