Re: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:10:56 -0600
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 8:04 AM Olivier Cochard-Labbé
<olivier_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 2:10 PM Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On 18.01.2019 5:31, Rebecca Cran wrote:
> >

> > > I was wondering if people will expect /boot.config to still be read and
> > so code should be added to loader to continue to parse it, or if
> > loader.conf can be considered the correct place and boot.config forgotten
> > about?
> >  Please, not, please support /boot.config. loader.conf could be too late
> > in case of serial consoles.
> >
> >  I wonder, why EFI/UEFI and GPt booting (which should be more advanced)
> > is more limited than classic MBR/boot0 + boot1 + loader scheme :-(
> >
> >  Serial console support is worse. Selection of boot partition is not
> > supported (as opposide to very-simple-516-bytes boot0!), and so on :-(
> >

> Hi,
> As an heavy nanobsd user on headless (serial/IPMI SoL) appliances, being
> able to early select the boot partition by MBR/boot0 and configuring early
> message redirection (with boot.config) is very useful.
> Not being able to do the same with GPT/EFI is the feature preventing me to
> upgrade my nanobsd image scheme.
> So if there is a way of displaying EFI boot loader messages over
> serial/IPMI SoL and selecting boot partiton, I've no objection to remove
> boot.config support.

There's some UEFI var that's supposed to serve the same kind of
purpose as /boot.config -- early boot parameters. I think we had
discussed implementing this at some point, but this hasn't been done
yet as far as I've seen. Would this be usable on your appliances?