Re: UEFI, loader.efi and /boot.config

From: Olivier Cochard-Labbé <olivier_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 15:03:41 +0100
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 2:10 PM Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 18.01.2019 5:31, Rebecca Cran wrote:
>

> > I was wondering if people will expect /boot.config to still be read and
> so code should be added to loader to continue to parse it, or if
> loader.conf can be considered the correct place and boot.config forgotten
> about?
>  Please, not, please support /boot.config. loader.conf could be too late
> in case of serial consoles.
>
>  I wonder, why EFI/UEFI and GPt booting (which should be more advanced)
> is more limited than classic MBR/boot0 + boot1 + loader scheme :-(
>
>  Serial console support is worse. Selection of boot partition is not
> supported (as opposide to very-simple-516-bytes boot0!), and so on :-(

Hi,
As an heavy nanobsd user on headless (serial/IPMI SoL) appliances, being
able to early select the boot partition by MBR/boot0 and configuring early
message redirection (with boot.config) is very useful.
Not being able to do the same with GPT/EFI is the feature preventing me to
upgrade my nanobsd image scheme.
So if there is a way of displaying EFI boot loader messages over
serial/IPMI SoL and selecting boot partiton, I've no objection to remove
boot.config support.

Regards,

Olivier