Re: test program for copy_file_range(2)

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 08:31:15 -0600
On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 6:38 PM Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> I have a little program for testing the copy_file_range(2) syscall I've been
> working on. (The current version is attached, in case anyone is interested.)
>
> It take a few minutes to run on a slow system and uses about 6Gbytes of disk
> space for the file system the output file is on. (It creates 2 files to use for testing.
> The first one is sparse and the second is copied from it, but grows as different byte
> ranges get copied, since "punching holes" is done via writes of 0 bytes.)
>
> My question is..
> What needs to be done to include this in FreeBSD?
> I see some stuff under head/tests. I could probably figure out
> what the macros in those files are, but I can only see tests to see if
> arguments are valid and similar. As such, I'm not sure if this is the correct
> place for a test like this?
>
> Thanks for any help with this, rick

head/tests is for complete automated tests, mostly in ATF format.
Your program sounds more like the kind of helper program that might be
more suitable for head/tools/regression.  Those programs all require
some operator interaction.  If you can automate your program then we
should add it to head/tests/sys.  Does it really need 6GB to get
decent test coverage?
-Alan