Re: should a copy_file_range(2) syscall be interrupted via a signal

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 21:09:24 +0000
Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 08:59:23PM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
>> Konstantin Belousov wrote:

>> Yes, agreed. Since this syscall only works on VREG vnodes, the only weird cases
>> are NFS (and maybe fuse). I'll let asomers_at_ address the fuse situation.

>> Well, since the copy_file_range(2) syscall is allowed to return fewer bytes copied
>> than requested and this doesn't mean EOF, it seems that doing that would
>> achieve the result of allowing an application to call it again.
>> (Basically, it must be used in a loop until the bytes of the range have been copied,
>>  since returning fewer bytes copied than requested is a normal outcome.)
>>
>> >BTW, if the syscall is made interruptible, it should be made cancellable ?
>> Not sure what you mean by "cancellable"? If you mean "terminated by a signal
>> where there has been no change to the output file, then that could only easily be
>> done by returning EINTR before any data has been copied.
>> If you mean something else, then I'd need to know what that is?
>See pthread_setcancelstate(3) for start, but the POSIX 1003.1-2017
>2.9.5 Thread Cancellation is the definitive spec, including the quite
>readable overview.
Ok, thanks. That explains why cancellation of NFSv4.2 Copy operations are defined
the way they are.

>> >I think that PCATCH commonly used for vn_start_write(9) is not the best
>> >decision.  It is safe in the sense explained by Jilles, since its interruption
>> >only happens at the very beginning of the syscall, but it contradict to the
>> >tradition of write(2) to the local fs being not interruptible.
>> >
>> >I suggest to not make the syscall interruptible by default, and perhaps
>> >only allow it with a flag.  Then you would need to explain that the
>> >syscall is only interruptible between VOPs, it is up to fs to decide if
>> >the VOP_READ/VOP_WRITE is interruptible (e.g. devfs and nfs).
>> This is how it is coded now. The one thing I have noticed is that a
>> copy_file_range() can take a long time (about 2min for 2Gbytes on the old hardware
>> I test on). This seems like a long delay for <crtl>C when you do that to an application
>> copying a large file. ("cp" and "dd" also take 2min for 2Gbytes, so it isn't a bug
>> in copy_file_range(2). It just introduces a long delay in response to <crtl>C.)
>That long delay is inconvenience but not something that we should spent
>too much time trying to fix. We cause the same delay if program does a
>write(2) of several GB, or when very large process like firefox dumps
>core.

Well, I am happy to leave the patch the way it is now, where the only case
EINTR/ERESTART is returned is if the VOP_xxx() call for the underlying file
system has returned it (such as an NFS mount with "intr" option).

Thanks, rick