Re: New vm-image size is much smaller than previos

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 19:52:29 -0600
On Fri, May 3, 2019, 7:42 PM bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 11:06:15AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > -- Start of PGP signed section.

> file

> other

> > > It will certainly be mentioned in the 11.3 release notes.
> >
> > And those running head snapshots without reading commit messages
> > are likely to have lots of foot shooting.
> >
> > > Glen
> > --
> > Rod Grimes
> rgrimes_at_freebsd.org
>
> At the risk of being branded a wishful thinker, a firstboot script that
> asked the user for some configuration information would be a great help
> to both new and experienced foot-shooters. I'm thinking of Raspberry Pi,
> but perhaps it applies to non-embedded platforms also.

That's not a bad idea... we could press bsdinstall into service for that
perhaps... we already expand the partition / filesystem to match the media
size...

The original FreeBSD install program (the one by Jordan Hubbard) did a
> very serviceable job. Could it (the user interface) be resurrected?

Unlikely. It's too far bit rotted these days. It was extremely tailored to
the i386 env, and a lot has changed since we retired it.

This is an interesting idea. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to
prototype.

Warner

Thanks for reading,