Re: New vm-image size is much smaller than previos

From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 11:20:28 -0700
Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > At the risk of being branded a wishful thinker, a firstboot script that
> > asked the user for some configuration information would be a great help
> > to both new and experienced foot-shooters. I'm thinking of Raspberry Pi,
> > but perhaps it applies to non-embedded platforms also.
> >

> That's not a bad idea... we could press bsdinstall into service for that
> perhaps... we already expand the partition / filesystem to match the media
> size...

We run Junos in vm's under lots of different circumstances.

An etc/rc.d/vmguest is used to tailor the vm to the environment it finds
itself in at firstboot.  A raft of etc/rc.conf.d/vmguest.* help tailor
the basic logic to different platforms and vmhost environments.
It generally does nothing at subsequent boots.

We handle dynamic configuration, by providing a separate device to be
used for swap, var etc.  Dynamically sized swap is very handy.