Re: FreeBSD Core Team Response to Controversial Social Media Posts

From: Adam <amvandemore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 14:27:40 -0500
On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 4:12 AM Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>
wrote:

> This is a typical example of reframing a problem in one side's
> favourable terms. Freedom of expression is a fundamental freedom as
> recognised by the United Nations, and is guaranteed by the highest
> courts of any civilised society. Attacking one's freedom of expression
> under whatever auspices makes one an EXCEPTIONALLY terrible person
> that should go and re-thing their life purpose! End of discussion.

I'd go a bit further and say its also every individuals right to be exposed
to such things, and make judgements for themselves.  The voices who are the
most different deserve the most protection.  Without these, any "freedom of
speech" is illusion.  One wonders where these advocates of censorship will
turn when the tool they helped create is eventually turned back on them.

--
Adam