Re: FreeBSD Core Team Response to Controversial Social Media Posts

From: Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 18:34:02 +0100
On Sun, 19 May 2019 at 17:54, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2019, 10:25 AM Graham Perrin wrote:
>
> > I know, it's not appropriate to find fun in a serious discussion, but
> > these six words did make me chuckle:
> >
> >  > … freedom of expression … End of discussion.
> >
> > No offence intended. I was speed-reading (waiting for a browser to
> > launch) and those six words leapt out at me :-)
> >

> Yes. There will always be limits, just like in real life. You can't tell
> fire in a theater, and claim freedom of expression, for example.

<snip>

While that is an often cited example, it is rather tenuous as far as
"freedom of expression" is concerned: yelling "Fire!" in a crowded
theatre is by no measure an expression of one's views, thoughts, or
opinions. At the same time, the invocation of a CoC ctte review is
triggered by precisely the latter.

--
Igor M.