Re: FreeBSD Core Team Response to Controversial Social Media Posts

From: Adam <amvandemore_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 13:12:45 -0500
On Sun, May 19, 2019, 12:42 PM Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2019 at 17:54, Warner Losh wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 19, 2019, 10:25 AM Graham Perrin wrote:
> >
> > > I know, it's not appropriate to find fun in a serious discussion, but
> > > these six words did make me chuckle:
> > >
> > >  > … freedom of expression … End of discussion.
> > >
> > > No offence intended. I was speed-reading (waiting for a browser to
> > > launch) and those six words leapt out at me :-)
> > >

> > Yes. There will always be limits, just like in real life. You can't tell
> > fire in a theater, and claim freedom of expression, for example.
>
> <snip>
>
> While that is an often cited example, it is rather tenuous as far as
> "freedom of expression" is concerned: yelling "Fire!" in a crowded
> theatre is by no measure an expression of one's views, thoughts, or
> opinions.

Additionally, the ruling from which that quote came was used to suppress
dissent and imprison people for just that.  It is a very shaking foundation
on which to launch a censorship campaign. The main group was sentenced for
yelling fire when there really was one.