Re: Booting anything after r352057 kills console

From: Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:16:32 -0400
Pete Wright [pete_at_nomadlogic.org] wrote:

> I remember having similar issues a while ago when we were first hacking on
> drm, one thing to try is updating /boot/loader.conf with the following:
> debug.debugger_on_panic=0
> dev.drm.skip_ddb="1"
> dev.drm.drm_debug_persist="1"
>
> these are semi-documented in the wiki here:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Issues_.2F_Bugs
>
> while they may not solve the issue, they will hopefully give us better info
> as to why the system is hanging.  Also, are you able to boot the previously
> working kernel (iirc you can do this via the boot loader menu) successfully?
> and lasty, can you boot single user then manually attempt to load the kernel
> module via kldload i915kms.ko?

I am not 100 percent sure that this is a DRM problem.  I have de-installed
everything related to DRM and commented out the rc.conf statement that
loads the DRM modules and still can't get past the last few steps of the
startup.  I did see that ntpd does read it's configuration file because
my /var/log/messages has an entry for reading the leap seconds file.  That
is the last entry in the /var/log/messages file.

I am able to successfully use the beadm choice 7 in the boot chooser to load
a previously good boot environment working kernel.

I'll try your other suggestions tomorrow morning and post the result to
this group.

Tom

--
Public Keys: