Re: Booting anything after r352057 kills console - additional info

From: Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 11:38:05 -0400
On 2019-09-25 17:51, Thomas Laus wrote:
> I was able to mount my zfs filesystem r+w and added the rc_debug="YES"
> to my rc.conf.  The additional debug messages were written to the beadm
> boot environment /var/log/messages.  Since the computer locked up, I was
> unable to read this log and email the results.  That log is inaccessible
> to a running beadm snapshot, so I gave up on this quest.  I blew away my
> source and object files and did a fresh checkout of HEAD today.
> Everything built fine and I was able to boot r352710 today.
>
> Thank you and the rest of this list for the help along the way.  I guess
> that this is just one of those computer mysteries that won't get solved
> at thus time.

There is still something happening with syscons after r352057 and before
r352064.  I updated 2 more computers today from r352057 to r352710 to
have everything match.  I updated the package for
drm-current-kmod-4.16.g20190918 but commented it out of rc.conf because
of potential problems with drm.  I wanted to boot into a working system
and then activate drm later.  I built and installed my kernel and on
first boot into the new kernel, the console changed to a very dim
display about halfway through the boot process and then disappeared
completely. Switching to another console gave me a green on black
display and a login screen.  I installed world and rebooted.  Everything
worked as expected and I was able to kldload drm without any issues.  It
looks like the UPDATING file should have a note with a 'heads up' about
this issue because the standing instruction statement to always load the
new kernel before installing world may not always be true.  Without some
random key pokes, I would have never seen that something put syscons in
a non-default state until world could be installed.  I was thinking that
my original black console screen was back again.

This happened on 2 computers today.  I wonder if my first problem was
related?  Both computers have Intel CPU's one is a Core2-Duo and the
other is an Atom D510.

Tom
 --
Public Keys: