Re: sysutils/screen-ncurses port

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 09:53:37 +0200
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:41:46AM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> Would people be open to the idea of a sysutils/screen-ncurses port that
> depends on devel/ncurses instead of ncureses in base? The reason for this
> is there are screen.* terminfo entries in devel/ncurses that don't exist in
> termcap(5). People who want that extra functionality would be advised to
> install the alternative pkg or build the sysutils/screen port with the
> appropriate option.
>
> Or, simply change the default from whatever ncurses is available to always
> install devel/ncurses. People could always select one of the other options.
> Personally, I'm not enamoured with this approach.

I think it is a terrible idea, and we should fix the initial problem instead of
workarounding it.

1/ why those are not in our termcap(5) ? they should be added if they are
missing. and MFC asap (prior 11.4 and 12.2 would be nice)

2/ we should allow our base ncurses to get informations from newer termcap(5) if
needed.
So far the default TERMCAP is
${HOME}/.termcap{,.db}:/etc/termcap{,.db}:/usr/share/misc/termcap{,.db}

First the user can be advise to point configure the $home/.termcap this is for
quick now.

Second for later futur proof mechanism we could modify our termcap reader (we
use our own, not the one in provided by ncurses). to be able to fetch termcap
capabilities from /usr/local/share/misc/termcap/*.conf for example

This way ports with random termcap info to add would be able to do it without
the requirement to wait for a commit in base and a MFC.

Best regards,
Bapt