Re: sysutils/screen-ncurses port

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 05:56:54 -0700
In message <20200430075337.3wdzglshhorcd2qn_at_ivaldir.net>, Baptiste
Daroussin wr
ites:

> --vwrr5drfobpkyvop
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:41:46AM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > Would people be open to the idea of a sysutils/screen-ncurses port that=
> =20
> > depends on devel/ncurses instead of ncureses in base? The reason for this=
> =20
> > is there are screen.* terminfo entries in devel/ncurses that don't exist =
> in=20
> > termcap(5). People who want that extra functionality would be advised to=
> =20
> > install the alternative pkg or build the sysutils/screen port with the=20
> > appropriate option.
> >=20
> > Or, simply change the default from whatever ncurses is available to alway=
> s=20
> > install devel/ncurses. People could always select one of the other option=
> s.=20
> > Personally, I'm not enamoured with this approach.
>
> I think it is a terrible idea, and we should fix the initial problem instea=
> d of
> workarounding it.
>
> 1/ why those are not in our termcap(5) ? they should be added if they are
> missing. and MFC asap (prior 11.4 and 12.2 would be nice)

I came to this conclusion last night after sending this email thread oud
and will test it some time today.

> 2/ we should allow our base ncurses to get informations from newer termcap(=
> 5) if
> needed.
> So far the default TERMCAP is
> ${HOME}/.termcap{,.db}:/etc/termcap{,.db}:/usr/share/misc/termcap{,.db}
>
> First the user can be advise to point configure the $home/.termcap this is =
> for
> quick now.
>
> Second for later futur proof mechanism we could modify our termcap reader (=
> we
> use our own, not the one in provided by ncurses). to be able to fetch termc=
> ap
> capabilities from /usr/local/share/misc/termcap/*.conf for example
>
> This way ports with random termcap info to add would be able to do it witho=
> ut
> the requirement to wait for a commit in base and a MFC.

This is probably outside of my scope at the moment but, yes, agreed.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>