Re: AMNESIA:33 and FreeBSD TCP/IP stack involvement

From: Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 15:51:22 -0500
I'm not posting as someone in-the-know about the state of the FreeBSD stack
--- I trust the security team to divulge things as required,

BUT ...

... the examples of vulnerable things in that article to reference lead me
to conclude that the stacks in question are "libraries" ... likely, but not
necessarily, written in C for systems running in an operating system-less
environment.  The easiest way to think about this is to look at the "at
mega" line (also known as arduino).  This is an 8-bit processor and the C
development kit allows you to link in all kinds of stuff --- from
filesystems and micro-sd card support to wifi and IP/IPv6 support.  The
same libraries are used when the target is a more powerful ARM chip --- but
one similarly running without something as full-fledged as an OS --- or
even when a very small vestige of an OS includes these libraries.

You could think of these libraries like "what if someone wrote an IP stack
for the commodore 64 and then also ported it to the Amiga" ... as a
computer without an operating system and then a port to a computer with an
operating system with no concept of networking.

At any rate, these, in general, do not even resemble the network stack in
FreeBSD... or indeed any other full fledged operating system.

Hopfully this tidbit helps in some small way.