Re: AMNESIA:33 and FreeBSD TCP/IP stack involvement

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_phouka.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 08:12:51 -0800
On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 06:58:49AM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> Hello,
> I've got a question about recently discovered serious vulnerabilities
> in certain TCP stack implementations, designated as AMNESIA:33 (as far
> as I could follow the recently made announcements and statements,
> please see, for instance,
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/amnesia33-vulnerabilities-impact-millions-of-smart-and-industrial-devices/).
>
> All mentioned open-source TCP stacks seem not to be related in any way
> with freeBSD or any derivative of the FreeBSD project, but I do not
> dare to make a statement about that.
>
> My question is very simple and aimes towards calming down my employees
> requests: is FreeBSD potentially vulnerable to this newly discovered
> flaw (we use mainly 12.1-RELENG, 12.2-RELENG, 12-STABLE and 13-CURRENT,
> latest incarnations, of course, should be least vulnerable ...).

Look at it this way:  If it is/was, what are you going to do about it?

[Please don't take this as a personal attack.  I get the same kind of
questions you are by my bosses and auditors, who live in their own little
world where they think there is a guarantee for everything and the only
real-world cost is an appropriately asked question.]

If you've got an upgrade policy that rolls out patches when FreeBSD publishes
them (or tracking -STABLE or -CURRENT in such a way that they're going to be
incorporated with some parity with the security and errata notifications) and
you're keeping your packages up to date, you're doing pretty good.  If there
is a problem, you'll roll out the fixes when they're available.  You may
not even know they're in there yet.

If you've got a menagerie of FreeBSD-based IoT-style devices that aren't
getting regular updates and this bug has shown you the tip of the iceberg
to all the other potential problems, then you probably have issues.  Now
an attack against the kernel TCP/IP stack is universally bad (possibly
bypassing any firewall, probably not requiring authentication, probably
gaining the kernel privileges, etc), plenty of other problems are a subset
of just as bad.

Assuming that the Amnesia:33 reported responsibly disclosed, if FreeBSD was
affected we'd probably have fixes out (pre-publication).  On 12/8, you just
got patch released for FreeBSD-SA-20:33.openssl, and that is burned into a
lot of OS pieces.  Have you pushed those changes out yet?  Two paragraphs up,
I basically asked a policy question.  This paragraph, I'm basically asking
you an implementation question:  You had a policy, did it work?  Did
anything get missed?  Can someone audit that?

-CURRENT and -STABLE tend to get patches (and, potentially, problems) before
-RELENG does, but sometime that's a natural process of the patches discovering
the problems that need put into -RELENG.  It's always nice to see a bug report
for -RELENG and then tracking down the revision and finding out you've been
patched for a while now.  On the other hand, -STABLE gets daily patches and
you probably wouldn't want to have a production patch cycles with that kind
of frequently.

[Personally, I tend to update -STABLE/-CURRENT when I see a "Security:" tag
with a CVE reference, semi-weekly, or when I see something that looks
alarming or interesting and -RELENG when it gets a patch.]