Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:51:10 -0800
On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:19:03PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> git in base would have licensing issues.

I gather you're referring to GPLv2. A sticky wicket.

The trouble with ports is the tree is getting awfully big.
The host in question has a 32 GB disk and is over half full
with just a base source installation. Adding a "dormant"
ports tree will take nearly 2 GB, most of which is not used.

Might there be some way to clone a "sparse tree" including
only one port, which then leafs out just enough to build that
port and dependencies?

When the ports system was introduced it seemed a marvel of
compactness and efficiency. Time marches on.

> Pi2B: v1.1 (armv7 only)? v1.2 running armv7 FreeBSD?
> v1.2 running arm64 FreeBSD?

Sorry for the ambiguity... It's v1.1, armv7 only. That's
why I want to test git on this particular machine. Git
seems to work fine on the Pi3.

Thanks for replying!

bob prohaska