Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:50:53 -0800
On 2020-Dec-22, at 13:31, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2020-Dec-22, at 13:06, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 09:34:25PM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:
>>>
>>> what does "pkg install git" do for you? NB: I use "pkg install git-lite".
>>> Prevents about 1000 dependencies.
>>>

>> That seems to have worked. It reported something about package management
>> not being installed, but after a prompt installed pkg-static and set
>> up a version of git which seems to run. Svnlite had been working without
>> this step.....
>>
>> This is for a Pi2B v 1.1, arm v7 only.
>
> Ahh. As far as I know armv7 ports have been building right along. It was
> arm64 that had the old build system fail as I understand.
>
>> Using the "mini git primer" at https://hackmd.io/hJgnfzd5TMK-VHgUzshA2g
>> I tried to clone stable/12 expecting that the -beta would be gone.
>>
>> It looks as if I'm still jumping the gun. Although
>> cgit.freegbsd.org replies to ping, using
>>
>> bob_at_www:/usr % git clone cgit.freebsd.org -b stable/12 freebsd-src
>>
>> reports:
>>
>> fatal: repository 'cgit.freebsd.org' does not exist
>>
>> This is just a rehearsal, so I can wait, but if I've
>> made other mistakes please point them out.
>
> cgit.freebsd.org is not for getting clones from, just like svnweb.freebsd.org
> was not for getting svn from.
>
> Using main as an example, not stable/12 . . .
>
> The bottom of the page https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/ shows 3 URL's for
> use in cloning src:
>
> Clone
> https://git.FreeBSD.org/src.git
> anongit_at_git.FreeBSD.org:src.git
> git_at_gitrepo.FreeBSD.org:src.git

Hmm. It turns out that the last 2 are links on that page and the
links expand out to:

https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/anongit_at_git.FreeBSD.org:src.git
and:
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/git_at_gitrepo.FreeBSD.org:src.git

So it seems that there are ways to clone that involve referencing
cgit.freebsd.org .

> The last two are not explicit about notation like ssh: prefixes.
>
> I cloned FreeBSD's src.git via:
>
> git clone -o freebsd --config remote.freebsd.fetch='+refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*' ssh://anongit_at_git.freebsd.org/src.git freebsd-src
>
> Other than using the ssh: style, I got the command notation from
> part of:
>
> https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/src-cvt.md
>
> The remote.freebsd.fetch related material allows for finding the svn version
> numbers for the older content.
>
> Checking out stable/12 from the clone should be possible after the above, but
> that is not what I've been doing.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com