Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 10:01:51 -0700
On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 7:32 AM Michael Grimm <trashcan_at_ellael.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> > The FreeBSD project will be moving it's source repo from subversion to
> git
> > starting this this weekend.
>
> First of all I'd like to thank all those involved in this for their
> efforts.
>
> Following
> https://github.com/bsdimp/freebsd-git-docs/blob/main/mini-primer.md form
> your other mail I was able to migrate from svn to git without running into
> any issues.
>
> Right now I am learning how to use git the way I sed svn before. I am just
> following 12-STABLE in order to build world and kernel. I am not
> developing, neither am I committing.
>
> I wonder how one would switch from a currently used branch (OLD) to
> another branch (NEW).
>
> With svn I used:
>         svn switch svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/NEW /usr/src
>
> For git I found:
>         git branch -m stable/OLD stable/NEW
>         or
>         git branch -M stable/OLD stable/NEW
>
> git-branch(1):
>        With a -m or -M option, <oldbranch> will be renamed to <newbranch>.
> If
>        <oldbranch> had a corresponding reflog, it is renamed to match
>        <newbranch>, and a reflog entry is created to remember the branch
>        renaming. If <newbranch> exists, -M must be used to force the
> rename to
>        happen.
>
> I don't understand that text completely, because I don't know what a
> reflog is, yet ;-)
>
> Thus: Should I use "-m" or "-M" in my scenario when switching from
> stable/12 to stable/13 in the near future?

I think the answer is a simple "git checkout NEW". This will replace the
current tree at branch OLD with the contents of branch NEW.

git branch -m is different and changes what the branch means. If you did
what you suggested then you'd be renaming the OLD brnach to NEW, which
isn't what I think you're asking about.

Warner