Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

From: Michael Grimm <trashcan_at_ellael.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 19:15:01 +0100
Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 7:32 AM Michael Grimm <trashcan_at_ellael.org> wrote:

>> With svn I used:
>>        svn switch svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/NEW /usr/src
>>
>> For git I found:
>>        git branch -m stable/OLD stable/NEW
>>        or
>>        git branch -M stable/OLD stable/NEW
>
> I think the answer is a simple "git checkout NEW". This will replace the
> current tree at branch OLD with the contents of branch NEW.

Thanks to all of you pointing me away from renaming a branch instead of simply checking out the branch of interest.

> git branch -m is different and changes what the branch means. If you did
> what you suggested then you'd be renaming the OLD brnach to NEW, which
> isn't what I think you're asking about.

No, I will not apply anything before having it understood. In this case I looked into git-branch(1) because I believed this the command to be. Haven't found git-checkout(1) :-( Sorry for the noise.

Now, stable/13 may come, I am ready to switch ;-)

Thanks again and regards,
Michael