Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

From: Michael Grimm <trashcan_at_ellael.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 17:08:09 +0100
Christian Weisgerber <naddy_at_mips.inka.de> wrote:

> Michael Grimm:

>> Correct? If so I wonder how future security advisories and errata notices will be composed. Will there be a date of the commit besides its hash being reported?
>
> For over TWENTY YEARS, FreeBSD advisories have already contained
> the date when the problem was corrected, e.g.:

Ups, sorry for my fading memory ;-) I must have concentrated solely to the revision numbers and descriptions in order to find out whether to recompile or not.

> I think it is safe to assume that this practice will continue after
> the switch to Git.

Thanks to all who responded and helped me to understand what to expect. Pointing me to git-rev-list(1) has been very helpful.

I came to the conclusion that I will name my BE by date and time of latest pull before buildworld or buildkernel, e.g. 2025_0955. That will help me to make decision as mentioned above.

With kind regards,
Michael