Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

From: Kristof Provost <kp_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 13:15:03 +0100
On 29 Dec 2020, at 4:33, monochrome wrote:
> sry forgot details:
>
> source tree _at_ ead01bfe8
>
> git -C /usr/src checkout gf20c0e331
> error: pathspec 'gf20c0e331' did not match any file(s) known to git
>
> what is the 'g' for?

That would have been a typo, I think.

> git -C /usr/src checkout f20c0e331
> M       sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
> HEAD is now at f20c0e331 caroot: drop $FreeBSD$ expansion from root
> bundle
>
> yet I don't see any indication that anything changed, and now it wont
> update at all:

If something went wrong there’d be error output.
Git is *fast*, which can lead you to assume it’s not done anything
when it has in fact done exactly what you asked. You should be on that
commit now.

> git -C /usr/src pull --ff-only
> You are not currently on a branch.
> Please specify which branch you want to merge with.
> See git-pull(1) for details.
>
>     git pull <remote> <branch>

Yes, you can’t merge to a detached head. Return to your original
branch (presumably git checkout main) and then pull.

Regards,
Kristof