Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

From: monochrome <monochrome_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 22:33:22 -0500
sry forgot details:

source tree _at_ ead01bfe8

git -C /usr/src checkout gf20c0e331
error: pathspec 'gf20c0e331' did not match any file(s) known to git

what is the 'g' for?

git -C /usr/src checkout f20c0e331
M       sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
HEAD is now at f20c0e331 caroot: drop $FreeBSD$ expansion from root bundle

yet I don't see any indication that anything changed, and now it wont
update at all:

git -C /usr/src pull --ff-only
You are not currently on a branch.
Please specify which branch you want to merge with.
See git-pull(1) for details.

     git pull <remote> <branch>