Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:37:49 +0200
On 2020-12-29 02:56, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 12/28/20 4:38 PM, monochrome wrote:
>> what would be the git command for reverting source to a previous
>> version using these numbers? for example, with svn and old numbers:
>> svnlite update -r367627 /usr/src
>>
> I will generally just checkout the short git hash like so in my local
> checkout:
> $ git checkout gb81783dc98e6
>
> you can quickly get the hashes by running "git log" from your checkout.

I think that git checkout <commit> is a wrong tool here.
I personally would use git reset --hard <commit>.
Note that that command would also revert any local uncommitted changes
as well!

My view of the difference between the commands:
- checkout: stage[*] a change that would modify the current state of the
branch to the selected commit's state
- reset: change the current branch (its head) to point to the selected
commit

[*] by stage I mean modify the working copy and the index.
That is, if after git checkout you would run git commit then you would
commit a change that reverts the current branch to the selected point.

--
Andriy