Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 11:41:34 -0800
On 12/29/20 7:11 AM, monochrome wrote:
> ok, this appears to be what I was looking for
>
> example:
> git reset --hard f20c0e331
> then:
> git pull --ff-only
> is again able to update as normal
>
> I should point out also that this is from the point of view of any
> random person just building freebsd from source, not a developer, so
> there are no local changes. Though it does blow away changes to the conf
> file, that's a lesser issue to deal with.

One other thing to consider is that if you are trying to track down
a regression, you can use 'git bisect' to do this and it will do
the binary search for you.  In the case of searching for a regression,
you will be better served by that tool than trying to use
'git reset --hard' directly.

The other approach you can use to avoid having to look up hashes would
be to create your own local tags each time you update.  Then you can
easily go back to that tag by name instead of having to look up the
hash.

--
John Baldwin