Re: how to use the ktls

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 20:53:23 +0000
John Baldwin wrote:
>On 1/12/20 8:23 PM, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

>>> If it was easy,  it wouldn't be fun;-) FreeBSD13 is a ways off and if it doesn't make that, oh well..

>>> Hopefully your WIP will make progress someday, or I might be able to work on it.

>>> Yea, I figured I'd need a daemon like the gssd for this. The krpc makes it a little
>>> more fun, since it handles TCP connections in the kernel.

>>> Thanks (and for the code below). I found the simple server code in the OpenSSL doc,
>>> but the client code gets a web page and is quite involved.

>>> I don't think bouncing the data up/down to/from userland would work well.
>>> I'd say "if it can't be done in the kernel, too bad". The above could be used for
>>> a NULL RPC to see it is working, for the client.
>>
>> So you're saying that we'd only support rpc-over-tls as an NFS client and
>> not as a server, at least until the WIP for ktls read appears?
Actually, I'd say that neither NFS client nor server will work over tls until
the receive side works, since NFS RPCs result in bi-directional traffic.

>To be clear, I have KTLS RX working with TOE right now.  I have a design in my
>head for KTLS RX that would use software and co-processor engines via OCF such
>as aesni(4) and ccr(4) that I hope to implement in the next few months, so KTLS
>RX isn't too far off.  OpenSSL already supports KTLS RX on Linux and the FreeBSD
>patches I already have use the same API.  (Each received TLS frame is read via
>recvmsg() with the TLS header fields in a cmsg.)
Sounds good. It will be a while before I get to the stage where I need it.
I'm currently working  on how to give userland access to a socket created in the
kernel, so that a daemon can use it.

Have fun with it, rick

--
John Baldwin