DRM Project report (week of July 6th)

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 23:28:45 +0200
 Hello,

 Last report was more than a month ago so a lot have happened.

 5.3 is done and is in the ports tree since June 30th.
 This bring us support for NAVI10 card in the kernel, but if you have
this card you will need mesa-devel port or wait that we update the
mesa* port to 20.1 when they release.
 Speaking of mesa the first merge request for FreeBSD related patches
was merged on July 4th
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/3559), since
reduce a lot the number of patches that we will need in the ports tree
when 20.1 will be release. Other merge requests are still opened :
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&search=freebsd
 and after talking to upstream they would really like some FreeBSD
support in their CI, the ideal would be to have a gitlab-runner
somewhere but for now I've took the road of creating a CI compliant
image that have sshd allowed without root password that will work with
QEMU, see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25598, we'll see how it goes but
I hope that it will allow us to have more CI support in freedesktop
projects (mesa, libdrm, xorg, wayland etc ...), don't forget that DRM
drivers are a bit useless without proper support for FreeBSD on
userland libs and program :)

 To have testing easier for me and others I've added into poudriere a
mode to create a pkgbase image, this allow me to create small usb disk
image that have all the necessary userland program for testing drm
drivers. I've also started an image that will test various graphics
related stuff like trying some drm driver sysctl tweaks etc ... all
done with a dialog based program. The image is intended to be used to
generate a wiki page that users could just upload and also quick
testing FreeBSD on desktops/laptops.
 https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/pull/756
 I intend to publish scripts for creating the image at the end of next
week and will possibly generate one image per week that people could
download.

 Back on DRM I've started 5.4 update, for now it's ~20% done and I
expect the sync to be finish at the end of July.
 https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/tree/5.4

 I don't think that I've forgotten something, if I did it will be
included in next week reports :)

 All this work is under sponsorship from the FreeBSD Foundation.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>