Re: CFT: major update to if_ure (patch did not apply cleanly for head -r363510) (example PowerMac problem?)

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:43:52 -0700
On 2020-Jul-26, at 18:20, John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> wrote:

> Mark Millard wrote this message on Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 19:13 -0700:
>> For reference for what applying the patch
>> reported (see Hunk #14):
>
> Ok, updated it to be relative to r363583...
>
> I had made a white spcae commit to if_ure.c, but hadn't made the
> patch relative to it after that commit.. should work now..

I updated an old PowerMac G5 (2 sockets/2 cores each) to
head -r363590 with the update patch and tjen plugged in the
USB EtherNet device. The result (extracted from dmesg -a)
was:

usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
ugen2.2: <Unknown > at usbus2 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

Unfortunately, I'd not tried a PowerMac with the type of
device before the update. I do not know if the above is
new behavior or not.

The PowerMac is big-endian, which is what got me to think
about trying it there. The PowerMac is also 64-bit running
a 64-bit FreeBSD. Its USB is 2.0.

(It also has 2 GigaBit EtherNet ports of its own so I'm not
likely to use a USB device outside special testing.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went