Re: "make installworld" fail r363660 -> r363689 (amd64)

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 19:14:26 -0500
On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 2:48 PM David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 06:46:40AM -0500, Kyle Evans wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:24 AM David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org> wrote:
> > > ld-elf.so.1: /common/S4/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin/make: Undefined symbol "regcomp_at_FBSD_1.6"
> > > I would appreciate a suggestion.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you describe the environment in which you're running installworld,
> > please? i.e. is it just a raw installworld directly in your shell, or
> > something more complicated?
> >
> > I observed this in testing an exceptional scenario; running
> > installworld in a buildenv. installworld injects .WAIT between lib and
> > libexec + other subdirs, which is supposed to prevent stuff like this
> > (new binary got installed linked against new libc before new libc).
> > Running in a buildenv set SYSROOT and stripped out the .WAITs, leaving
> > me with an annoyance where I had to installworld twice.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> I finally just re-retried the "make installworld," and it succeeded.

To be clear, this was just a second installworld without rebuilding,
correct? If so, I'm going to amend the UPDATING to add:

installworld may encounter the following error: Undefined symbol
"regcomp_at_FBSD_1.6"

It is imperative that you do not interrupt the installworld, but
instead let it proceed to
completion, whether it succeeds or not, and run installworld again.