Re: ${COMPILER_VERSION} < 40300

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 11:22:51 -0700
On 5/7/20 10:17 AM, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Eric van Gyzen <eric_at_vangyzen.net> wrote:
>
>> If I were to clean up obsolete ${COMPILER_VERSION} tests in the tree,
>> which ones should I keep?  I would probably confine it to head, so I
>> could prune quite a few.
>>

> Anything in the bootstrap path should remain, especially in the install
> portion of the bootstrap path since we don't require new compilers for
> that. I doubt there's more than one or two of these and there may be zero.
> The rest can go away.
>
> We should also look at taking out the fmake workarounds in the tree too.
> Most of these are in src/Makefile and src/Makefile.inc.

I think Eric though was asking about <sys/cdefs.h> and the like.  Right now
we still have conditional support for some really old compilers that are
likely to never be used with FreeBSD 13 (ancient Intel icc, gcc 2.95, etc.).

Like, do we keep support for pre-ANSI C to delete 'const' etc. via
macros?   Admittedly there isn't a tremendous amount of cruft in cdefs.h.
What would seem more invasive would be to do things like require C99 and
use 'restrict' directly instead of __restrict, but the first step towards
any of that is probably to remove some of the cruft from cdefs.h and
possibly some other places.

(BTW, it would be good to know if it's at all useful to keep any of the
icc bits around.)

--
John Baldwin