Re: in -current is svn still canonical?

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 20:40:41 -0700
On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 7:48 PM Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com> wrote:

> from tech-lists:
>
> > As subject - is svn still canonical for -current or is it git now?
> > If it's not git now, when roughly is the intended switch?
>
> I recently updated FreeBSD doc, ports, src (current), and src12
> (12-stable) using svn (not svnup or svnlite).
>
> But I read some time before that, FreeBSD current source would go on git,
> while other src trees (non-current), ports and doc would stay with svn for
> the time being, until git on current src is further tested and stabilized.

Subversion is the source of truth for FreeBSD today.

In the near future, likely early next month, we'll move our operations over
to git. Git will be the source of truth after the flag day. All developer
operations will be in git: committing to current, and MFCing will all be
done with git. As an aide to users that started the FreeBSD stable/11 and
stable/12 branches, however, we'll be exporting the commits to the git
branch stable/11 and stable/12 to subversion. The subversion tree will
otherwise be read-only after this date.

The doc tree will likely convert at the same time that the src tree moves
over. There will likely be a lag for the ports tree. It's unclear if they
will switch at the same time as the src tree, or if there will be a
few-months-long lag.

Warner