Re: CURRENT: cross compiling 12-STABLE failure in: bin/cp/utils.c:517:14: error: member reference base type 'void' is not a structure or union

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 20:37:30 -0500
On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 9:54 AM Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 11:55 PM Hartmann, O. <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
> >
> > For a couple of weeks now cross-compiling 12-STBALE on CURRENT fails
> > due to an compiler error in bin/cp/utils.c, see details below.
> >
> > At this moment, CURRENT is at FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #39 r366364: Fri Oct
> >  2 17:51:39 CEST 2020 amd64 and the sources for 12-STABLE are at
> > revision 366437.
> >
> > The compilation environment is the NanoBSD environment of the CURRENT
> > running host.
> >
> > A similar constellation of host and cross-compiled target (regarding OS
> > versions, the hardware platform is slightly different, for the record)
> > works: running a simple, well known "make" builds 12-STABLE without
> > problems.
> >
> > I tried to build NanoBSD in a vanilla state (without conf files for
> > WITH/WITHOUT tags), but the failure is always the same.
> >
> > Can someone help or give some hints where to look for the reason of th
> > miscompilation?
> >

> Hi,
>
> This is the same failure that was recently reported on the -stable_at_
> list for stable/11 (entitled "building releng11 on RELENG12 broken
> ?"). It should only happen in the presence of WITHOUT_AUTO_OBJ, but
> that shouldn't be the case on stable/12. It's clearly trying to
> rebuild it into the src tree in the same way, though:
>
> [/pool/sources/12-STABLE/src/bin/cp/utils.o] Error code 1
>
> This is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't know the nanobsd build
> well enough to understand what's going on here. I suspect it's
> related, though.

Another report came to me privately that had tracked it down in the
other direction -- building -CURRENT from an earlier 12 -- that
pointed directly at a bug in crunchgen on -CURRENT. I've committed the
fix in r366466, you will want to update to that world or at least
rebuild+reinstall crunchgen with that fix.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans