Re: Please check the current beta git conversions

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 13:50:13 -0400
On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 13:37, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> Goran Mekić writes:
>
> > While I can clone src nicely, it is very slow in Serbia/Europe. The best
> > speed I got is 1.45MB/s but it's mostly around 700kB/s (still cloning).
>
> I was about to ask about that:
>
> Any guidance on amount of diskspace and how long it takes to clone the repo ?

I see just over 3GB in my clone, including about 2.5GB in the .git directory.

If you have only one checkout git will require a bit more disk space
than svn. However, if you have two or more working trees (say, vanilla
FreeBSD and multiple work-in-progress trees, or head and stable
branches, etc.) using "git worktree" will share the .git directory and
in total will occupy less space than the equivalent in svn.

I'd expect clones to take minutes, although cgit-beta is running on a
lower spec jail host and might have trouble if many people are cloning
at the same time.