Re: Plans for git (was: Please check the current beta git conversions)

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 10:18:22 -0600
> On Sep 1, 2020, at 10:59 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday,  1 September 2020 at 13:14:10 -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
>> We've been updating the svn-git converter and pushing out a new
>> converted repo every two weeks, and are now approaching the time where
>> we'd like to commit to the tree generated by the exporter,
>
> Somehow I've missed this development.  Reading between the lines, it
> seems that we're planning to move from svn to git, but I can't recall
> seeing any announcement on the subject.  Can you give some background?
> It would also be nice to find a HOWTO both for the migration and for
> life with git.

We’ve been talking about the transition for about 5 years now. So far, only people interested in git have showed up to do any work at all. Subversion has lost, and even Apache, the main users of it, are moving to git. We started early in the year with the firm plans and have been working on it since then. These conversations have happened all over the place, and we’ve been posting to developers for months now...

There’s some draft guides, but they need work which is on my plate. They are OK, but have some issues on the more complicated bits.

Warner