Re: Deprecating ftpd in the FreeBSD base system?

From: Renato Botelho <garga_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:52:36 -0300
On 17/09/20 11:04, Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <CAPyFy2BHki84KuzP94AqTLk7v9FTAnLP-sa4HaFLq0kdxt0dEQ_at_mail.gmail.c
> om>
> , Ed Maste writes:
>> FTP is (becoming?) a legacy protocol, and I think it may be time to
>> remove the ftp server from the FreeBSD base system - with the recent
>> security advisory for ftpd serving as a reminder.
>>
>> I've proposed adding a deprecation notice to the man page in
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447 to start this off. There are a
>> number of ftp servers in ports, and if we're going to remove the base
>> system one we can create a port for it first, as well.
>>
>> Any comments or concerns, please follow up in the code review or in email her
>> e.
>
> We should also deprecate the FTP client.
>
> I've been advocating removing FTP (and HTTP) from libfetch as well. People
> should be using HTTPS only. (libfetch could support a plugin that might be
> supplied by a port should someone be inclined to write one.)
>
> FTP is firewall unfriendly.
>
> The F5 gateway at $JOB does not support FTP. When we still worked at the
> office I had to take my $JOB laptop to the coffee shop to use their
> wireless to download patches from Broadcom's FTP site. Now that I WFH (we
> won't ever go back to the office) I download while disconnected from the
> VPN.
>
> Then move the removed bits to ports, which I think we already have in tnftp
> and tnftpd.

pkg still uses HTTP

❯ sudo pkg -d update -f
Password:
DBG(1)[78228]> pkg initialized
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
DBG(1)[78228]> PkgRepo: verifying update for FreeBSD
DBG(1)[78228]> Pkgrepo, begin update of '/var/db/pkg/repo-FreeBSD.sqlite'
DBG(1)[78228]> Fetch: fetching from:
http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/meta.conf with
opts "i"
Fetching meta.conf: 100%    163 B   0.2kB/s    00:01
DBG(1)[78228]> Fetch: fetching from:
http://pkgmir.geo.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest/packagesite.txz
with opts "i"
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB   6.5MB/s    00:01