Re: Plans for git

From: Bakul Shah <bakul_at_iitbombay.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 09:05:50 -0700
On Sep 18, 2020, at 11:21 PM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> These are the main ones. The three down sides are lack of $FreeBSD$ support
> and tags in general.

Can a git hook be used for this?

> Yes. I've started doing a series of short videos explaining the change, why
> we are doing it and what to do in the new world order. I'll be doing blog
> entries as well as turning that material into handbook entries. I have some
> of those written.
>
> Does this help?

It would be useful to describe the development model (e.g. how major/minor
features get added etc), how to maintain multiple local branches (e.g.
release branch or -current) or working on more than one feature at a time etc.

Do you plan to move to something like the github review process?

When is the cutover supposed to occur?

The cgit-beta.FreeBSD.org and github trees are not identical the last
time I looked (mainly in meta data). Any reason for not keeping them
identical? I switched from the github tree to the cgit-beta tree.

FWIW, I have used sccs, rcs, cvs, subversion, mercurial, git & a few more.
I have used git exclusively for the last few years. I felt more comfortable
with git once I understood the on-disk storage model. The Pro Git book is
pretty good for that & more.

Thanks,
Bakul