Re: Plans for git

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:42:31 -0600
On Sat, Sep 19, 2020, 10:05 AM Bakul Shah <bakul_at_iitbombay.org> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2020, at 11:21 PM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >
> > These are the main ones. The three down sides are lack of $FreeBSD$
> support
> > and tags in general.
>
> Can a git hook be used for this?

No. Not really. There is an extension to git to mark and unmark the tree.
However, the markings aren't useful enough to even pursue that.

> > Yes. I've started doing a series of short videos explaining the change,
> why
> > we are doing it and what to do in the new world order. I'll be doing blog
> > entries as well as turning that material into handbook entries. I have
> some
> > of those written.
> >
> > Does this help?
>
> It would be useful to describe the development model (e.g. how major/minor
> features get added etc), how to maintain multiple local branches (e.g.
> release branch or -current) or working on more than one feature at a time
> etc.
>
> Do you plan to move to something like the github review process?
>
> When is the cutover supposed to occur?

I'll have all that in a newer blog.  But here is a quick summary.

We hope to do the final cut over next month. We hit a snag with some
inconsistencies in the svn mirrors we need to chase down, plus that give me
some more time to document things better. Initially, just the tool changes
to match today's workflow. However, that's just the first step to allow us
to improve the work flow incrementally as different aspects of it get
community buy in...

The cgit-beta.FreeBSD.org and github trees are not identical the last
> time I looked (mainly in meta data). Any reason for not keeping them
> identical? I switched from the github tree to the cgit-beta tree.

Yes. The checked out trees are identical. But the hashes and some revs
differ slightly. There are simply so many mistakes in the github export
that we decided the pain of fixing was smaller than having to deal with
them forever. I'll try to write up all the details for this as well.

Warner

FWIW, I have used sccs, rcs, cvs, subversion, mercurial, git & a few more.