FreeBSD mini-Git Primer

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 09:14:44 +0100
On 02/03/2021 06:33, Graham Perrin wrote:

Re: Git, shallow clone hashes, commit counts and system/security updates

> On 02/03/2021 05:42, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> Re: Panic after updating from source
>
>> On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 6:31 PM Michael Sierchio <kudzu_at_tenebras.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> …
>>
>> You need to be aware that the shallow clone hash will not include the
>> commit count which will be used in future security updates to make it
>> easy
>> to check whether your system needs to be updated or not. A full clone
>> does
>> require more space, but I was surprised at how little extra space it
>> requires. Warner  is updating his git mini-guide to point out this
>> issue.
>> If you run STABLE, it's a really significant concern. You can convert
>> the
>> shallow clone to a full one with "git fetch --unshallow". This will take
>> some time to run.
>> --
>> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
>> E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com
>> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
>
> … Thank you, Kevin and Warner.

I see the FreeBSD mini-Git Primer in the November/December 2020 edition
of the FreeBSD Journal
<https://issue.freebsdfoundation.org/publication/?i=690210&ver=html5&p=8>
(and the review copy that was publicised in September 2020).

For news of a future edition, if any, should I simply watch
<https://bsdimp.blogspot.com/search/label/git>?

Thanks

(I have another question about deep and shallow … I'll post separately
to freebsd-questions …)