Re: FreeBSD mini-Git Primer

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 16:16:09 -0700
The updated mini-Git Primer is now included in the Developer's Handbook.
See Chapter 5. I have sent a number of suggestions for some non-technical
changes to Warner, but have not heard back yet. Perhaps he didn't care for
them. As I am a real novice who has had to destroy my clone of the sources
and start over twice, I find it unlikely that i will be of significant use
on the technical side for a while. Git is philosophically very different
from RCS/CVS/SVN and the different mindset is taking me a while to fully
grasp. I will say that specifying a hash that is in main but not part of
the branch you are working on is probably a rather poor idea. I probably
could have easily fixed it, but I had no luck in finding the right
incantation and eventually blew /usr/src away and started over. (How do you
fix a detached clone?)

I also find net/gitup a marvelous tool for replacing portsnap. In several
ways, it is clearly superior and I look forward to seeing it in the base. I
mean, what is simpler than:
# gitup -c ports (just once to create the initial clone)
#gitup ports (to update, perhaps in periodic(8))
Of course, you do need to edit gitup.conf to select the preferred branch
and repo site, but it's pretty obvious.
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com