Re: Arm64 Tier 1 FreeBSD 13 Phones

From: Valery Seys <valery_at_vslash.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 09:10:50 +0200

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKMxzz9cjs
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJo9faE1fM
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV0RnWorPpQ
>>> https://www.fosslinux.com/43842/linux-phones-for-privacy.htm
>
>> FreeBSD lacks the power-management infrastructure to run on
>> battery-operated devices.
>
> Management? Meh... that's what a power cable
> and battery belt are for... moar power.
>
>> linux ... code
>
> Reference material for reverse engineering.
>
>> developing a FreeBSD-based phone on PinePhone hardware.
>
> FreeBSD might already runs on Pinephone...
>
> https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5574
> https://twitter.com/nrgmilk_
> https://twitter.com/DarkainMX/status/1282764108060717056
> https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/15/july-updatepmos-ce-pre-orders-and-new-pinephone-version/
> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6232
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/PinePhoneOfficial+PINE64official+PinebookPro+PineTab/search?restrict_sr=on&q=(freebsd+OR+openbsd+OR+netbsd+OR+bsd)
> https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeBSD+OpenBSD+NetBSD/search?restrict_sr=on&q=(pinephone+OR+pine64+OR+a53)
> https://linuxsmartphones.com/hackers-develop-open-source-firmware-for-the-pinephone-modem-use-it-to-make-phone-calls/
> https://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Osmocom_on_TI_Calypso
> http://openbts.org/
>
>> https://potabi.fivnex.co/development
>
> https://github.com/fivnex
> https://potabi.fivnex.co/
> https://blog.fivnex.co/
> https://twitter.com/potabimobile
> https://discord.gg/8prEeTV
> https://twitter.com/fivnex
> https://fivnex.co/
>
>> funding
>
> https://liberapay.com/fivnex/donate
>
>> Dream on.
>
> These phones (boards) are growing the beginnings of a hacker culture
> that is trying to get all sorts of unix to run on them, a long held dream.
> And the future of phones and open hardware is only opening up more.
> So whether it's Fivnex or others, do not be surprised when people
> boots more kernels on them soon. Your refrigerator and car will
> splash Beastie.
>
> May your dreams hack into reality :)

I'm affraid that FreeBSD do not run on a PinePhone.
The dmesg from nycbug comes from a pine64 board, not from a pinephone.

And unfortunately:
- openmoko: pretty dead.
- the fivnex 'potabi' project: unrealistic
- Pine Microsystem Inc: kickstarter project, Cie dissolved in Jan,2020.
Now, the product are sold from an Hong Kong Cie, 'Pine Store Inc.' ; I don't
know who are these guys, but I'm pretty sure they don't have an engineering
staff and will not make the phone better (it could change ...)
Last, the Quectel EG25 GSM Modem has proprietary firmware ('blob'), some
enthusiasts try to make it open. So, the phone is not really 'open source'.

Nice phone that runs well and is completly opened and free :
http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~mellis/cellphone/
(Not sure you will be able to find all components today)

P&L

v/