Re: Problem with X Server when updating to 38bfc6dee33

From: Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 12:49:25 +0000
On 2/2/21 8:16 AM, David Wolfskill wrote:
> You might want to see if this ports/UPDATING entry:
>
> 20200320:
>   AFFECTS: users of x11/libxkbcommon
>   AUTHOR: zeising_at_FreeBSD.org
>
>   The libxkbcommon library (x11/libxkbcommon), used to handle keyboards
>   in some applications, most notably kde and wayland, have been switched
>   to use evdev rules by default on FreeBSD 12 and later.  Some keys, most
>   notably arrow keys, may not work in applications using libxkbcommon if
>   you are using xf86-input-keyboard rather than xf86-input-libinput.
>   If you have trouble with the keyboard keys, and if /var/log/Xorg.*.log
>   shows that the "kbd" or "keyboard" driver is being used, you need to
>   switch to legacy rules by setting the environment variable
>   XKB_DEFAULT_RULES to xorg.
>   This switch is made to match the default configuration on FreeBSD 12.1 and
>   later, the default configuration on FreeBSD 11.3 still uses the legacy
>   rules.

It did not apply.  I am using xf86-input-libinput-0.30.0_1 on both of
the problem computers.  Everything worked until I performed the 'pkg
bootstrap -f' after my last build world update.  Until then I was able
to start X with a working keyboard and mouse.  When my packages were
updated after the the ABI change, the mouse and keyboard stopped
working.  I always upgrade all of my packages after building world and
was prompted after the change to 14.0-CURRENT from 13.0-CURRENT to do
so.  I ran the 'pkg upgrade' command and the prompt told me to run 'pkg
bootstrap -f' because of the ABI change.  It downloaded a new pkg
program and then upgraded all of my packages because of the change in ABI.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1