Re: DRM and higher screen resolutions on older hardware for current/13-ALPHA3

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 07:22:32 +0000
On 05/02/2021 06:09, George Michaelson wrote:
> I have a Lenovo Edge 420 with the ATI/Radeon graphics card.

Please, which card, exactly?

This utility can help to gather useful information:

sysutils/hw-probe

A recent probe of my own notebook (with Radeon hardware), but please
note that it's not a 2018 model, it's more like 2013:

<https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=c2e361eeff>

> The "this .ko, that blob" thing is really confusing if you've been out
> of the loop for a while, and with older hardwar (its 8+ year old
> laptop) its not impossible its fallen off the curve of available .ko
> drivers.
>
> Anyone have any practical guidance to which radeon.ko I want to load?
> Not seeing valid Xorg with any of them and finding 640x480 tiresome.

In most cases, it should suffice to edit your rc.conf as described at
<https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-fbsd13-kmod/#message>.

If you have not already done so, try installing:

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati

Exceptionally

% grep -B 1 kld_list /etc/rc.conf

# The system may fail to present sddm if kld_list is set to
# load radeonkms -- instead, load drm
kld_list="cuse fusefs drm"

# kld_list="/boot/modules/drm.ko"
# kld_list="amdgpu"