Re: New Optane AIC does not show up in FreeBSD until . . . ?

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 02:08:19 -0800
On 2021-Feb-16, at 00:48, Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd_at_omnilan.de> wrote:

> Am 14.02.2021 um 02:36 schrieb Mark Millard via freebsd-current:
>> On 2021-Feb-13, at 16:40, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you aware of gpart create?
>>>
>>> Warner
>> From which I derive that I had an implicit, incorrect
>> assumption that gpart show would in some way list
>> everything available that gpart could manipulate
>> (including for use in creation).
>
> 'geom disk status' is my first choice for such a case.
> Even nvd(4) should show up I think, nda(4) just changes the access path, not geom(8) integration, afaik.

Looks like "geom disk status" and "geom disk list"
both list "disks" that do not have a partition scheme
and spans the nvd* disks. (I only tested destroying a
partition scheme on an ada* and then seeing what
was displayed. I do not want to destroy such on any
nvd* as stands.)

"geom disk list" shows Mediasize and descr, which
at times could be handy for identification, at
least when the pair are unique in the system.

Thanks for the alternatives to sysctl kern.disks
and to nvmecontrol devlist for making a list to
compare to gpart show output in order to find
what gpart show does not list (but can manipulate).

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went