Re: New Optane AIC does not show up in FreeBSD until . . . ?

From: Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd_at_omnilan.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:22:40 +0100
Am 16.02.2021 um 11:08 schrieb Mark Millard:
> On 2021-Feb-16, at 00:48, Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd_at_omnilan.de> wrote:

>>>  From which I derive that I had an implicit, incorrect
>>> assumption that gpart show would in some way list
>>> everything available that gpart could manipulate
>>> (including for use in creation).
>>
>> 'geom disk status' is my first choice for such a case.
>> Even nvd(4) should show up I think, nda(4) just changes the access path, not geom(8) integration, afaik.

> Thanks for the alternatives to sysctl kern.disks
> and to nvmecontrol devlist for making a list to
> compare to gpart show output in order to find
> what gpart show does not list (but can manipulate).

gpart(8) doesn't enumerate disks without any supported partition scheme
present.
You can create new partition schemes with the help of gpart(8), but it's
imho correct not to show them, because 'gpart show' is meant to give
information about (existing) partition schemes - no scheme no info; thus
your vanilla disk is "unknown" to gpart(8).

I remember that I always thought the geom(8) disk class is kind of
hidden - especially since the man page misses listing DISK in the
"Currently available classes which are aware of geom(8)" section!

The "show" command was enriched to contain valuable details, such as NAA.
So 'geom disk' turned into one of the most useful mass storage admin
commands. imho.
Maybe somebody should correct the aforementioned man page section and
add add any hint in the SEE ALSO section, because there is no gdisk(8)
aequivalent, like for all other geom classes...

-harry

P.S. Put it on my loger-term todo to file a bug report with a proposed
man page diff...